Saturday, October 18, 2008

Forever Thirteen...

This is the multi-talented, high energy cast of the new Broadway musical 13. And what a great evening at the theater! My friend, Dan Elish, is co-writer of the book and I felt like such a proud Mama. Dan has written kids' books - funny ones! - but, like me, has always had theater in his blood. (You know my fantasy, right -- to do a musical based on Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself). Once we held a reading/sing through for a play Dan was working on at our apartment in NY. It was such fun. But 13 is something else. Exhuberant, funny, yet surprisingly moving. The audience loved it -- kids and adults. Catch it if you're coming to NY or if you live here. Bring the under-thirteens with you. It will speak to them. The dancing is fabulous, right down to the curtain call when a couple of guys in the cast put on their tap shoes. I was thrilled to meet them all backstage and have my photo snapped with them.